How to Scale Content Production For High Volume Publishing
Scaling your content production for high-volume publishing is essential for businesses looking to increase their online presence and drive more organic traffic to their website.
After all, Search Engine Journal reports that over 73% of B2B marketers use content marketing as part of their overall marketing strategy.
Clearly, producing high-quality content to drive SEO coverage and organic search success is a non-negotiable, but increasing your content production can seem daunting, particularly if you’re already slim on resources.
If that sounds like you, you’re in luck! By following a few key steps, which we’ll lay out in the article, you can effectively scale content creation while maintaining high-quality standards.
Whether you’re looking to increase brand awareness or just get more authority amongst your competitors, this guide will give you the steps and tools to scale the content creation process quickly.
So let’s jump right in!
Start By Assessing Your Current Content Production Process
The content production process is the series of steps a marketing team takes to strategize, create, and promote content. Identifying bottlenecks and limitations in this process is a crucial first step toward improving the effectiveness of your content marketing strategy.
Here are a few tips to help you evaluate your existing content production process:
- Look at the different stages of your process, from new content ideas to publishing. Identify where delays or inefficiencies are happening. Is the in-house marketing team at its full capacity? Are there bottlenecks in the workflow? Understanding these issues will help you make changes to improve your content production.
- Is the content that you are producing high-quality and engaging for your target audience? Are you producing scalable content assets? In other words, is your content even performing as is? Or should how you’re going about producing content get a face-lift before you try to increase the volume? If your content is not resonating with your audience, you may need to discuss it with your content strategist to improve the overall quality before scaling.
- Use metrics such as views, shares, and comments to measure how well your content is performing. Track your website traffic and engagement using tools like Google Analytics to see which content types drive the most traffic and engagement. This will help you identify which types of content are working well and which need improvement.
- Do you produce content that you can repurpose? One of the earliest steps you can take is to start producing content that can be repurposed into other formats. For example, a common practice at Interrupt Media, and with our clients, is to produce a white paper and then repurpose the content for that into a webinar, blog posts, podcasts, LinkedIn social posts, etc. and ensure that all assets drive are optimized to drive folks down the funnel.
By evaluating your current content production process, you can make improvements that will lead to more compelling content and a more successful content marketing strategy. Again, this is a really critical first step. We recommend optimizing marketing efforts first, before scaling them.
Setting Goals and Objectives for Scaling your Content Production
Content marketing is a powerful tool for business growth, but it can only be easy to scale content with clear goals and objectives. Have you already determined the ideal content volume and frequency?
If your company publishes one piece of content per month, imagine how much more impactful it would be for your target audience if you increased that to two or three per month. Now, you’re talking about creating a real impact and reaching a larger audience.
The amount of in-depth content you produce each month will depend on a number of things including how much you can produce in a given time period with the resources you have, how many long tail keywords you’re trying to get coverage for, and how quickly you want to get coverage for all your goal terms.
And don’t stop there. Set specific and measurable goals for increasing your organic search visibility, like getting on page 1 of SERPs for a particular keyword that’s a high priority. With a solid SEO strategy, you’ll be unstoppable in driving traffic and conversions to your landing page.
You also need to take a moment to determine which tools, if any, you need to invest in to help you increase efficiencies in your content writing or production process.
Developing a Content Calendar and an Editorial Plan
As a content manager, you understand the importance of producing high-quality, engaging content consistently. One way to organize and schedule content production is to create a calendar that outlines the content’s topics, themes, and formats.
This will ensure that all team members know the content plan and can work together to produce consistent, cohesive content. It will also help you to map your content to funnel stage so you’re prioritizing the right pieces to get your reader closer to a sale.
BONUS: Need help better understanding who your target customers are? Check out our guide to defining your ICPs (ideal customer personas).
When creating an editorial calendar, consider the following:
- Identify key dates and events that will impact your content (e.g., holidays, product launches, industry events)
- Plan content around those key dates and events
- Consider how different types of content (e.g., blog posts, social media updates, infographics) will support goals and objectives.
- One person can’t do it alone, so assign tasks and responsibilities to content team members or take advantage of outsourcing to a content agency to help you meet your desired volume and frequency.
Once the content calendar and editorial plan are in place, reviewing and adjusting them regularly as needed is essential. This will ensure that the content being created is aligned with the goals and objectives of the business and that it is being published at the right time.
Optimizing Content Production For SEO
Creating and publishing great content that resonates with your target audience and drives business growth is vital. However, you also need to ensure that it’s optimized for search engines to reach the broadest possible audience.
One of the most effective ways to optimize your content program for SEO is by conducting keyword research to inform your content strategy and targeting. You can create content that directly addresses the needs and pain points of your audience, by knowing what keywords they use when searching for solutions to those problems.
Once you understand the keywords you want to target, you can use header tags, meta descriptions, and alt tags to optimize your content for search engines. That’s how you help search engines to understand the content of your pages and make them more likely to rank for your targeted keywords.
Link building and internal linking is another important aspect of SEO. By building high-quality backlinks to your content from other reputable websites, you can drive more traffic to your site.
Additionally, by linking to your content within your site, you can help search engines understand the structure and hierarchy of your pages, making it easier for them to crawl and index your content. It also helps provide value to people reading your content and keeps them on the site longer.
Use these tips to improve your search engine performance and drive traffic to your site. It’s essential to act urgently and take advantage of the benefits a well-optimized content program can bring to your business.
Streamlining and Automating Content Production Processes
If you are here, you understand the importance of producing high-quality content regularly. However, creating and distributing that content can take time and effort. You can implement tools and project management systems to streamline and automate your content production process.
One of the most effective ways is by using templates, content briefs, and SOPs (standards of operation). These provide your content writers with a framework for creating content, making it easier to maintain a consistent voice and message across your materials.
Another critical step is to take advantage of technology and automation tools that can help with content creation and distribution. Here are a few we recommend:
- A Content Management System (CMS) can be a great way to manage your content in one central location. Some tools can automate the scheduling and publishing of your content across multiple platforms, like social media posts and email marketing, making it much more efficient. At Interrupt Media, we use WordPress.
- AI-powered tools can help content managers produce high-quality, relevant, and optimized content at a scale that can then be QA’d by a subject matter expert or a copywriter to add a human element, check for plagiarism, and optimize for marketing goals. Tip: NEVER rely on or publish unedited AI-produced content. We’ve worked with Jasper.ai and ChatGPT.
- SEO research and content optimization tools are a must when conducting keyword research, running content audits, and optimizing written content for the ideal keywords. For this, we are fans of Ahrefs, SEMrush, and Clearscope.
The competition for consumer attention is fierce, and the need to produce high-quality content regularly is crucial to staying relevant. By streamlining and automating your content production process, you’ll be able to make more content in less time and reach your target audience more effectively.
Level up your Content Strategy with Interrupt Media
Do you need help to effectively execute your content marketing strategy and achieve your SEO and organic search goals? You’re not alone. Many businesses need help with creating and implementing a successful content marketing plan as it can be very resource-intensive.
Interrupt Media can help.
Our team of experienced marketing strategists, professional writers, and a dedicated account manager will work with you to develop the content marketing campaigns geared to get you the online visibility, search engine results, organic traffic, or business growth you’re trying to achieve.
Partnering with a content marketing services provider like Interrupt Media means more then just writing a blog post or two. It means getting exposure to innovative strategies and content best practices to ensure that your brand is positioned as a thought leader with existing and potential customers. If you’re ready to work together, let’s talk.